learn to manage

Develop your management style,
especially if you are a new manager or in a new post.
Comments from your own experience are very welcome.
see more at http://www.newmanagersonline.net

Saturday, December 12, 2009

courage in management

I'm thinking at the moment about courage in management, reflecting that managing well takes a lot of nerve, especially for someone new to the role.
I remember feeling, with great anxiety and surprise, "You mean this is going to be up to me? That I'll be judged by other people's results?" when I first took a management role. I'd been so keen to get there, and yet managing the transition from effective practitioner to manager took all the courage I had.

I was lucky to have a good mentor, who mainly said, "You need to learn to take a deep kind of responsibility for yourself."
I'd thought I was a pretty responsible person, but she meant something much deeper. She went on to say, "If you're comfortable with yourself in a genuine way, you'll have the courage to accept the responsibility of managing a team."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home